Thursday, October 1, 2015

Room 525

One of the funniest things about getting a little older, and really not even getting older at all, because what is 30, but about getting a career, is the way my vision has started to tighten like the doors of an elevator closing over a landscape, and that landscape is the hallway looking toward the high school's photocopy room. Though I do love that photocopier.

This thought coming after I sat down to finish an essay during my free period in a classroom where I’ve been teaching for a few years. And where three years ago I read a beautiful essay a student wrote about walking around the city and hopping fences. I'm supposed to be writing about suspense in nonfiction narratives and the surreal violence of one Russian's fiction, but I keep seeing his fences and red brick buildings. 

Still, very good that I have a career that lets me think of these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment